A Different Approach to your New Year's Resolution; Holistic Dentist Anthony Kim Explains:Dr. Kim | January 5, 2012
As the new year is freshly here, many of us have vowed our New Year’s resolutions to our friends and family. Most of us make resolutions that have to do with health and wellness i.e. getting more sleep, losing weight, getting more exercise, eating healthier, quitting smoking etc. As we all know these resolutions are beneficial to healthy lifestyle, many of us still are not aware of the multiple benefits of a healthy mouth.
Here is my wish for all in 2012….make the health of your mouth one of your top priorities.
As a dentist who specializes in Holistic and Cosmetic dentistry, I believe that the health of one’s mouth mirrors the health or lack of health of their internal system. For example, if an individual has a lot of cavities I check to see if their system is pH balanced. In the majority of cases, these individuals are “acidic” both internally and in their saliva. Another example that comes to mind is when an individual has periodontal (gum) disease. This chronic low-grade infection in the mouth leads to tooth loss, heart disease, diabetes, long term inflammation in the body, and preterm low-birth weight babies. Periodontal disease and tooth decay both have different strains of bacteria that they are associated with. This bacteria moves throughout the mouth creating more infection in other places. It also has the ability to get into the bloodstream and create infection in other parts of the body. Mercury metal fillings are also a concern to our internal health. Research has shown that these metal fillings constantly release mercury vapors into the mouth and are absorbed in the tissue. The mercury once absorbed into the body gets into the bloodstream and brain tissue. Over time, the amount of mercury in one’s internal system can cause major health problems, including cancer and dementia just to name a few.
Steps to take to improve total body health and oral health:
1. Visit your dental hygienist at least 2 times per year. This helps keep gums and teeth healthy by reducing plaque, tartar, and bacteria from spreading from the mouth to the rest of the body.
2. Brush twice daily. This helps to remove the plaque that bacteria feed on constantly. This too will reduce your risk for periodontal disease and tooth decay.
3. Floss daily. This will remove debris in-between the teeth and also help reduce the amount of bacteria present. Thus, also reducing your risk of periodontal disease and tooth decay.
4. Get a yearly dental check-up. Preventative dentistry is much more cost effective as well as better for your overall health.
5. Have your metal mercury fillings removed. This will help to prevent the further release of mercury into your brain and internal system. My Inland Empire Cosmetic and Holistic dental office utilizes “mercury safe” removal technology. Thus, your health and our health are protected when these metal fillings are removed.
If you are interested in a dental office that specializes in a more holistic approach to dentistry, please call to schedule an appointment at (951)686-3666. My Inland Empire Holistic Cosmetic dental office is located in Riverside, California just off of the 91-freeway.
Topics: Home | Comments Off
Comments are closed.