10 Tips For A Healthy Mouth!
- DO remember to brush your teeth twice daily and clean between your teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner.
- DO eat a balanced diet for good overall health, selecting a variety of foods from the five main food groups (breads, cereals, and other grain products; fruits; vegetables; meat, poultry, fish, and alternatives; milk, cheese, and yogurt). And limit snacks.
- DO see your dentist regularly for a dental exam and professional cleaning – a key to helping prevent tooth decay and periodontal (gum) disease.
- DO tell your dentist about any medical conditions you have or any medications you are taking – whether prescription or over-the-counter.
- DO ask your dentist about cosmetic options for improving the appearance of teeth that are stained or chipped.
- DON’T smoke cigarettes, cigars, a pipe or use tobacco products; they can increase your risk of periodontal disease and cancer of the mouth and throat.
- DON’T ignore gums that bleed when you brush or floss or changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
- DON’T chew on hard objects like ice, nuts or pencils that could crack a tooth.
- DON’T forget to wear a mouth guard when playing active sports.